Willingdon Community School
A large secondary school supporting children and young people from Year 7-11.
Catering for over 1010 students, Willingdon Community School is a popular high school based in Eastbourne, East Sussex. Pupils join in year 7 and are supported until GCSEs in Year 11. We spoke to Rosie Beddows (Lead First Aider) about how Medical Tracker has improved their school’s approach to health management.
“Our old paper-based system was cumbersome and really hard to check on students’ medical and injury history. We can now even monitor medication intake and raise concerns with parents if increase regularity.”
What problems does Medical Tracker solve?
- Trends of illness or class absence due to medical room visits are accessible, highlighting potential safeguarding or pastoral support needed.
- As medication intake is recorded, parents can be contacted if concerns are highlighted linked to the regularity (as synched with the MIS system).
- Accurate information is recorded all in one place, abolishing the need for duplicate record books.
Medical Tracker for schools
Willingdon Community School were using a cumbersome paper-based system for recording health incidents. Information that once recorded is rarely looked at again, let alone analysed. They now actively monitor visitor regularity to the medical room, tracking trends for increased health concerns and medication intake across the school (via our online MAR sheet).
What impact has Medical Tracker had on first aid provision?
- Rosie regularly draws up first aid reports for the senior leadership team and year teams. Helping them to identify problems and act proactively.
- Pupils’ health and wellbeing are of top priority, Medical Tracker helps to monitor this.
- The online first aid software has saved the school staff hours of paperwork.
At A Glance
- Unable to check potential safeguarding concern patterns.
- Ineffective communication with parents surrounding medical health.
- Time-consuming paper-based first aid recording system.
Medical Tracker solutions
- Big picture now possible for monitoring health and safeguarding patterns.
- Parents are automatically notified of injuries or health incidents.
- Accurate information relating to medical health is accessible in one click.
“We would highly recommend Medical Tracker to ANY school. It helps us to stay compliant and has improved our first aid system so much!”
Lead First Aider and Student Support Manager
It helps me with our site manager and look at health and safety improvements. For example, In technology, the bulk of our injuries were eye injuries and it was through not wearing safety goggles. So we were able to locate what health and safety issues are happening in departments.
School Nurse, Kennet School
Parents receive instant notifications when incidents or medication administration are recorded. A full communication audit trail is saved. This helps parents feel that their child is well looked after at school- great for Ofsted!
Bursar,Bugbrooke Community Primary School
It's a really simple solution to a complex problem. I can't think why no one has come up with it before now. It’s also easy to get support and the system is being developed all the time.